The Mehlville School District began its educational journey in 1930
with the graduation of two students from Mehlville High School. Under
the apt direction of its first two superintendents, Emil C. Bernard and
Kermit O. Bierbaum (1935-1976), the District began its growth to the
current prominent educational status it now enjoys and maintains.
Successive superintendents have strived to maintain the extensive
educational opportunities afforded to students.
first consisted of smaller educational entities; however, on Oct. 27,
1951, the citizens of the Oakville, Mehlville, Point and Washington
areas voted for consolidation of their schools into one reorganized high
school district. The new district became the Mehlville R-9 District.
Years later, the R-9 was dropped, and it became known as the Mehlville
After experiencing rapid growth in enrollment
at the elementary and secondary levels, bus transportation was
introduced into the area in 1951 and the need for educational space was
apparent. Bernard and Bierbaum Elementary Schools were built to
accommodate this early growth in student population.
On May 11,
1964, the Mehlville School District voted to annex the Jefferson
Barracks School District. In 1964, ground was broken for a new
elementary school. The new school was named in honor of Henry Trautwein.
In 1956, the district received the official title to 45 acres formerly
part of the Veterans Administration Hospital Reservation at Jefferson
Barracks; the land is now home to Beasley Elementary School. Wohlwend
Elementary School opened in 1969.
Oakville High School offered
its first courses in secondary education in September 1970. At that time
Oakville High School was a Ninth Grade Center housed at the Jefferson
Barracks Building until it moved into its present building.
Currently, the Mehlville School District consists of one early childhood
center, 10 elementary schools, four middle schools, two high schools,
along with additional alternative learning programs. The progress of the
Mehlville School District can be measured not only in growth but also
by the improvements of its educational programs. The District is
accredited by the State Board of Education and has received the state’s
prestigious Distinction in Performance award for the last six years.